Welcome to my kitchen

A while ago, I realized I was serious enough about bread baking to stop diddling around with the 3-packs of yeast from the grocery store, or even the small jars for a small fortune. So I pulled up my big girl pants, and ordered "A Pound Of Yeast". It's in my freezer, and I use it regularly, and I guess that makes me "A Baker". Even though I always said "I can't bake". So, join me on my journey, and let's see what that pound of yeast makes, and where we go next....

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Ahhhhh.....so much food, so little time....

I see from the "stats" page on my dashboard that I actually have PEOPLE reading this.  Thank you all !  I can't tell you how much that pleases me, and gives me the "ooommmphhh" to keep going !  Yay us.

And I owe you some new material.  And I've been BUSY in the little kitchen.  There's been an OUTRAGEOUS sour cream/chocolate chip/cinnamon coffee cake that was just heaven in my mouth; quite decadent.  There was some really good stuffed chard leaves (chard !  Who knew it was so good.  Thanks again to my CSA), which mimicked dolmades.  And that brings up the whole topic of my CSA, which rocks.  There was an off-the-hook roast beef dinner tonight, with a potato/Parmesan gallete (swoon) and steamed turnips and loads of leftovers (a whole other topic).  And there was another off-the cuff, "I've got this, what can I find/get/buy to go with that" dinner.

Whew !  Darn near wore myself out just describing the last week or so.  And now Easter weekend's here, and on Saturday I'm making an early birthday dinner for one of my dearest friends, which of course, will be fodder for sharing with all y'all.  It'll include a pretty spectacular yeasted-dough cake that is one of my (and my friend's) fondest childhood memories.  *That'll* be a whole OTHER post !

I'll see if I can get one other small thing up tonight before I crash and burn.  I hate those blogs I get addicted to, then wait for 2 or 3 weeks before a new post goes up.  I sort of feel, if you're going to commit to blogging, well then, commit to blogging for heaven's sake !

In the interim, I leave you with the two prettiest, sweetest faces I know of....


The white Bichon is Rosie.  She's A Princess, and she'd be the first to remind you she is.  Very regal, and she's the prissy "good girl".  She'll have her 5th anniversary with me in July.  I think she's around 7 or so, (no more than 2 when I got her) and I think she's pure Bichon.  Maybe not show-worthy, but I don't think she's mixed with much of anything else.  The gray ghost is Lulu.  She'll have her 3rd anniversary with me in September.  The shelter told me she was a poodle....ummmm, not so much.  I've *had* a miniature poodle, and Lulu ain't one.  She's a mix of....*I* think Shi Tzu (from what I've been able to find, her personality and body build is mostly that), and maybe terrier??  Maybe....chihuahua?  Maybe dachshund?  Maybe....?  I think Lulu's probably about 3 now, and was about 6 months when I got her.  Lulu is most certainly NOT A Princess.  She's my Goober.  Silly, stubborn and ohhhh, so willful.  But she's just goofy sweet, and gives the best sloppy kisses.

Of course, they're both rescues, and both were strays, so who knows what they are and how old they are?  But their personalities and physical traits fit Bichon and Shi Tzu.  And when Rosie's fresh from the groomer, she could be in the center ring at Westminster !

Again I say, please.  Look at those faces, and if you are thinking you want to have a household pet, please adopt from your local shelter.  Both Rosie and Lulu were "throw-away" animals, and that just hurts my heart.  There are so many wonderful souls out there just waiting for their "forever" homes, where they'll be loved, and safe, and warm and fed (yes, they both had some good roast beef nummies tonight....) and secure.  They'll give you a thousand times that back in return.

Dog or cat, it doesn't matter.  Go to your shelter and get your next best friend.

And when you bring them home, please, spay or neuter them.  There are far, far too many homeless pets, and unfortunately, in most cases we know how that ends.

Save a life....adopt a pet.  Rosie and Lulu say "Thanks and *slurrrrps*".  And I say "bless you, and so will St. Francis".

No comments:

Post a Comment